Today Willempje and I were at NPOX, a conference for broadcasters, storytellers and media makers. NPOX asked us to program one hour, a sort of conference within a conference and we thought, why not invite people we want to hear?
So we did a speaker-estafette: we invited somebody we wanted to hear:
And of course we ran the NPOX logo before our speech. You can read the whole report (in Dutch) at NPOX.nl, and we love to give you all the reading tips and to do’s the speakers send to us. So buckle up and read all the in’s and out’s on gamification below.
Kars Alfrink – http://whatsthehubbub.nl/
Use Foursquare ! That’s where it started. Don’t forget that the Foursquare model is very specific for the context of Foursquare, and you can’t just copy it. Next to that it is good to play ‘Farmville’ for a while, to grasp what mechanismes are used in these kinds of games to get people ‘addicted’ to the game. Finally, a nice round of the card game Weerwolven to discover how a simple set of rules can be used to create deaper psychological meaning within the game.
Please browse my Pinboard; especially for the critical articles on gamification: http://pinboard.in/u:kaeru/t:gamification/
Nathalie Brähler – http://culturaloil.com/
To Read or Watch
OGILVY ON ADVERTISING
Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Advertising: http://www.amazon.com/Hey-Whipple-Squeeze-This-Advertising/dp/0470190736/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c
THE TIPPING POINT:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tipping_Point
MADE TO STICK
IMPORTANT FOR PEOPLE IN THE MEDIA MAKING INDUSTRY
Willempje Vrins & Leonieke Verhoog – FigureRunning.com
- Start to Quantify yourself – measure everything you can measure on yourself, start tracking your paths and count your steps, measure your sleeping patterns with SleepCycle, analyse your regular eating schedual with Foodzy or just write in a notebook what you did the past days. By tracking yourself you become more aware of your own behaviour, you learn more about the parameters of your behaviour and you can start to play with these parameters to change your behaviour (and lose weight, sleep more, eat healthy or whatever you want to change).
- Go FigureRunning (of course) – Become a Pencil with GPS in your phone and hack the map. Just download the app, start running in your neighborhood and draw the most beautiful figures while you’re getting fit.
To Read or to Watch:
- incorporating life in games: classic games that you can navigate by physically controlling living organisms: http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2011/01/play-pacman-pinball-and-pong-with-a-paramecium.html
- Gym-pact: New Gym Plan Requires Members To Pay More If They Don’t Work Out http://www.psfk.com/2011/01/new-gym-plan-requires-members-to-pay-more-if-they-dont-work-out.html
- Ian Bogost – How to Do Things with Videogames http://www.bogost.com/books/how_to_do_things_with_videogam_1.shtml
- Use the slide to go to your job – transferversneller in Utrecht Overvecht http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/1901/reisnieuws/article/detail/1295262/2011/07/20/Met-de-glijbaan-naar-de-trein.dhtml
- Trash can games http://www.psfk.com/2011/07/swiss-city-fights-litter-with-trash-can-games.html
- Gamification – the devil is in the details http://mashable.com/2011/07/28/gamification/
- Pixels! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugV6cLgwomo
- In the Future Everything is games: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2286
- Speed camera lotery: everybody who is under the speed limit joins the lottery to win the money from the tickets of people who proceed the speed limit http://www.grist.org/article/2010-12-03-driving-the-speed-limit-for-fun-and-profit
- ‘The Fun Theory’ Game Thinking: Take a big negative reinforcement loop and turn it into small positive reinforcement http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O1gNVeaE4g&NR=1 Fun is the Future – Mastering Gamification Gabe zicherman
TED/ Seth Preibatsch of Scvngr : “The Game Layer on Top of the World”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn9fTc_WMbo
DICE/ Jesse Schells’: Design outside of the Box: http://www.g4tv.com/videos/44277/dice-2010-design-outside-the-box-presentation/
GDC/ Jane McGonigal’s ‘We don’t need no stinking badgets(slidehare): http://www.slideshare.net/avantgame/we-dont-need-no-stinkin-badges-how-to-reinvent-reality-without-gamification.
I join Kars’ to do tip: start using Foursquare. Then again I don’t think starting a Farmville career. This is seriously dangerous, it is not a game, but a day job.
Margaret Robertson’s influential “Can’t Play, Won’t Play” (http://www.hideandseek.net/cant-play-wont-play/)
Ian Bogost’s “S(c)hell Games” (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4294/persuasive_games_shell_games.php)
Umair Haque’s HBR post “Unlocking the Mayor Badge of Meaninglessness” (http://blogs.hbr.org/haque/2010/12/unlocking_the_mayor_badge_of_m.html)
Stephen Anderson’s presentation “Long After the Thrill: Sustaining Passionate Users” (http://www.slideshare.net/stephenpa/long-after-the-thrill-sustaining-passionate-users)
Jane (McGonigal) herself, inher GDC talk “We don’t need no stinking badges” (http://www.slideshare.net/avantgame/we-dont-need-no-stinkin-badges-how-to-reinvent-reality-without-gamification)
Raph Koster just states “Feedback does not equal game design” (http://www.raphkoster.com/2011/01/04/feedback-does-not-equal-game-design/).
On a side note, I elaborated on some more potential side effects here: http://www.slideshare.net/dings/meaningful-play-getting-gamification-right
Further reading: Sebastian Deterding:
Ian Bogost’s ‘Gamification is Bullshit’ statement
short url: http://bogo.st/wm
In his short treatise On Bullshit, the moral philosopher Harry Frankfurt gives us a useful theory of bullshit.
What is FigureRunning?
Start FigureRunning NOW!1) Choose a theme (#royal, #alphabet, #easter)
2) Think of a simple Figure matching that theme
3) Search the map of your neighbourhood for that Figure (streets/gardens)
4) Get a phone with GPS and download a running app, like Runkeeper, GeoTracker or Nike +
5) Go to the beginning of the Figure, start tracking, start running
6) Make a screenshot of your FigureRun when you're done (iPhone: hold big button below and button on top at the same time)
7) Send the figure to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet/facebook it with #figurerunning
FigureRunning flickr pica’s