Let me take you back to 2009. I used to be a dancer and a coach. For a long time I have been giving dance classes and sports work-outs. My experience is that people feel better when they exercise their bodies. Not only physically, but also mentally! A few years ago I got a desk job. I missed the exercise and started running. Running is great. It’s cheap – you only need shoes – and it’s flexible – you can do it whenever you want. Running is great … and it’s boring!
I started to experiment with different running Apps (RunKeeper and Nike plus). They measured a lot and provided graphs of my speed, my distance … Then I discovered that it was also possible to visualize my route on a map. I could draw while running! One of my first FigureRuns was this bunny. I started sharing my art on Facebook, Twitter and than Leonieke was one of the first who started running art aswell . When I turned 28, she ran me this birthday cake 🙂
We started playing little games on, like “Can you guess what Figure I ran this morning?” Playing these guessing games with friends really motivated me. I received positive feedback and funny posts of friends, they even were requesting new runs. So it actually motivated me to run more and more. Eventually a small community of FigureRunners evolved, we came up with a lot of ideas and we decided to start and build our own blog and apps! Now we are entering new domains, new areas to be conquered. Stay tuned!
What is FigureRunning?
Start FigureRunning NOW!1) Choose a theme (#royal, #alphabet, #easter)
2) Think of a simple Figure matching that theme
3) Search the map of your neighbourhood for that Figure (streets/gardens)
4) Get a phone with GPS and download a running app, like Runkeeper, GeoTracker or Nike +
5) Go to the beginning of the Figure, start tracking, start running
6) Make a screenshot of your FigureRun when you're done (iPhone: hold big button below and button on top at the same time)
7) Send the figure to email@example.com or tweet/facebook it with #figurerunning
FigureRunning flickr pica’s